Thursday, March 1, 2012

HEARTstrings

Oh WOW! Where do I start? My heart is very full! You know that quote "Go out on a limb, because that is where the fruit is!" I am writing to you as a witness that blessings come to those that GO OUT ON A LIMB! ! I feel like I have done just that by starting this blog! This was a stretch for me! I had no idea what was to come of it.

It may seem silly but it is true...When you open up all of your thoughts you also open the door for criticism and the opinion of other's. Which can sometimes be harsh (I have experienced it). But have you ever stopped to think about that the opposite effect that could also happen? That maybe you could be blessed beyond measure and really get to that fruit!

I think people worry and fear of what someone might think and that is why so many people hold themselves back from sharing about their lives and experiences.They may say...what would people think if I share these things! They miss so many blessings and opportunities that may only come from sharing! 

I definitely went through this thought process of wondering what people would think about me after sharing some of my innermost thoughts, but I am so glad I pressed forward in this pursuit! I NEVER KNEW WHAT KIND OF BLESSINGS WOULD COME BY GOING OUT ON THAT LIMB!

I had an EXTREMELY busy day, helping family and also had a SCENTSY meeting that I put on tonight and so my whole day kept me away from my computer. I finally sat down late tonight to write and thought I would check my facebook first for any messages! Little did I know that I was about to ball my eyes out and receive the blessings that ONLY CAME FROM MAKING THE DECISION TO GO OUT ON A LIMB AND START THIS BLOG. This is what I found as I opened up my FB messages....

Heather, I feel prompted to send you these thoughts. I read your blog and it got me thinking about your boy, Shelby. What a remarkable little guy and I feel privileged having known him during his short life on this earth. When he was at the hospital, Relief Society assigned me to be your visiting teacher. I had no idea what visiting teaching was all about until I was assigned as yours. Of course it included meal assignments and assignments to visit you in the hospital, coordinating cleaning your house before Shelby came home, etc. It included just being there when you needed a blessing or hug or when you needed to take the sacrament. But, it became more than that. I know in your whirlwind and lack of sleep you would never know what lessons I learned during those 5 months. I never told you because I did not want to bring up anything painful. I was timid about stepping on toes or being in your family's space while you were dealing with Shelby's needs and of course the funeral and subsequent grief. I remember one time that Jeremy and I stopped by the hospital to bring you Subway and more books to read. You needed a break and asked me to go to Shelby's room and sit with him for a few minutes. After scrubbing up to my elbows, I timidly walked in his room and saw the most beautiful baby. His eyes met mine. With his skin condition I could not pick him up because I did not want to cause him any pain since I had no idea how to handle him. Then he started to cry! Mercy! What am I to do. I remember what you said about music being a calming thing for him. So, I sang. I cannot sing well and never will be a singer, but I sang to that sweet child. I remember the song was I am a Child of God. What a lesson learned that night that as I sang those words we know so well. He stopped crying and smiled (and I remember singing another song, but don't recall what). His eyes were so expressive and full of life. I forgot about being in a hurry or worrying about the right things to do and just enjoyed that moment with him. Thank you for sharing this sweet boy with us and the memories that I will treasure from that experience.

As I sat here and read this message I just cried and cried for several reasons. First, it made me completely visualize that precious moment with my angel boy. Second, what a loving friend to have followed her heart and bless my life by listening to the promptings she was given. Third, I realized how much the Lord wants to bless our life by just stretching ourselves. This pulled at my heartstrings and then I remembered this beautiful story that someone sent to me many years ago...

A mother's love knows no bounds,
No stronger bond can be found,
Mother and child are connected from the start,
There is a string from heart to heart.

Nothing can break this heartstring,
No matter what the future may bring,
A mother loves her child forever,
The heartstrings hold them together.

It is a love of the sweetest kind,
There is nothing more beautiful you will ever find,
And even death cannot break this bond,
It knows no earthly ties, it is here and beyond.

We are connected to our children forever by this love,
Even when God calls them to this home above,
Nothing can change this love, not time, nor words or even
Death bitter sting,
We are connected forever by the "HEARTSTRINGS"




There is no other way I would have probably ever received this priceless memory and treasured message if I had not decided to do something that at one point seemed impossible for me to accomplish! Now in only 5 days of writing.....I am receiving this witness that I am doing exactly what I was called to do and being blessed in a way that is so comforting to me.

It makes me think about all the things we are prompted to do on a daily basis! Do you listen? Are you prompted to reach out to someone? Are you prompted to share something? Are you prompted to write? Are you prompted to pray for someone? Are you prompted to call someone? Does someones name come across your mind for no apparent reason? I ask you the next time you hear these promptings that you act on them! You have no idea how you could bless someones life!

Go out on a limb and respond to your promptings...you will find the fruit and it might just be the thing that reaches your HEARTSTRINGS and blesses your life and the life of another in the most special way! Find Joy in your promptings!
















3 comments:

  1. Heather, So very Beautiful and so very true. Girl, Your Heavenly Crown, is going to adorned with such jewels or BLING, that even in Heaven, we will see you coming!!!! Your thoughts and Heart amaze me more and more each Day! Thank you for helping me and
    Thank you for reaching and going out on that limb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a blessing this is! Yeah, I know I need to find my own limb, but right now I'd like to be with you on yours! Love ya, baby!

    ReplyDelete