Friday, February 19, 2016

Bear one another's burdens...

Yesterday I had the beautiful privilege of attending a precious little angels funeral. Her name was Zinnia, just like the flower. She was 3 months old. She looked like a porcelain doll in her white satin dress that was handmade with love by a friend. The dress was made from fabric from her mother's and 2 aunts wedding dresses.  It was beyond heavenly. She looked like a perfect angel.

I grew up with her dad Jake and grew to love his wife, Heather. The other day when I found out that they had lost their daughter... I wept, as I always do when I hear that a child has died. My heart hurts for the parents so badly. I literally wish I could take away their pain...but I know I can't and that there are NO WORDS that will take away the pain. 

I was in awe when I was greeted by Jake with the most radiant smile and glossy eyes.  His spirit was shining! He looked at me with tears in his eyes and said, "I don't know how you and Shay did it?" There was so much I wanted to say...but that is for another day and another place. My response at that moment was..."You just do..Jake...You just do and you just keep getting through one day at a time with the spirit leading you daily." 

Then to wrap my arms around Zinnia's mom, Heather. There was something special in that hug. I know many times we tell someone that we can't begin to imagine what they are going through. This was not the case. We hugged so tight just like our hearts did all the talking. She knew I knew. My heart broke for her.

Let me backtrack for a moment. As I woke up yesterday morning and was in my bathroom getting ready for Zinnia's funeral. I realized that something was really different for me. As I got dressed.. It was as if I was getting ready for my own child's funeral. Everything I did was reliving my own experience. I could remember what I wore, what I was feeling, how somber I was. As I got in my car to drive to the funeral I could remember things I hadn't remembered in years. Yesterday wasn't about me...but as I walked in and saw baby Zinnia. I flashed back and saw Shealyn laying there. And then Shelby. But,  Shealyn was in a white satin dress and white satin casket just like Zinnia. Everything was so similar. When I saw Heather...I felt like I could read her mind. When I watched her fix Zinnia's dress it was as if it was an out of body experience. Then at the actual funeral they sang one of the same songs that we sang at both of my babies funerals. When I listened to Heather and Jake share their thoughts about Zinnia I felt every word they were speaking! I knew how they longed for her and at the same time knew they would be with her again and said the exact words that I once said... "we will be there with you again cause we will work hard." To sit there and watch the family wiping their tears and still trying to make sense of it all was a tear jerker.

As I sat from a distance and watched it all, the tears flowed and flowed and flowed and flowed. Many probably thought that I was crying so hard because of my own loss and experience. But I wasn't.
My tears weren't for me, they were for Heather and Jake and all who loved that precious Zinnia. And she was precious.  As I have had many years to learn, grow and endure the loss of my babies. I sat there with a heart full of empathy and watched these parents start their first few days of their journey of loss. I felt so many emotions.

As I sat there in the chapel and listened to Heather, Zinnia's mom talk about her sweet baby and what she was like and what she would miss I couldn't hold back the tears. I just wanted to hug her and hold her. My heart was bursting at the seams for her. She was so brave to get up there and share at her own baby's funeral. Then her father, Jake shared his sweet testimony of knowing that Zinnia was in her Heavenly Father's hands. His words pierced my soul as he spoke about eternal families. They showed such grace. Also, Jakes father, Ernest spoke beautiful words that were so passionately shared! 

All I could think about is how could I be there for her. How could I help her. How could I bear their burdens. My mind flooded of things that I could do. I realized that there have been about 7 special and dear friends that I have been able to help and be there for while they endured their child loss. It is something that I hold near and dear to my heart. Who would have known that I would have that many people in my little life that needed me because I could relate to them and what they were going through.

Who can you help? What trials have you survived that would allow you the knowledge and empathy to bless someone else's life and bear their burdens? How can you open up and share your heart so that someone else knows they are safe with you?

I reflected on the promises that I made when I was baptized many years ago. I promised to take upon His name. We were also willing to bear one another's burdens, mourn with those that mourn, comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places.

Giving service brings us together and gives us opportunities to share and talk and unload and lift and encourage and comfort. I often think of a song that I grew up singing as a family. "I'm trying to be like Jesus" or as a teenager...the words..."WWJD" (what would Jesus do.) He loved everyone. He lifted and he blessed. I saw that happen at the funeral yesterday with all of their loving brothers and sisters and aunts and uncles and grandparents all around supporting with love. I remember it happening any time that I stood in need of that kind of love and support. I see it around me today in my community and neighborhood and in my church family and in my Scentsy family... women and men who try their best to love and serve others. The world needs you and me.  Anyone who can love another and lift another up and bear one another's burdens.

The spirit of Zinnia and the love that her family had for her reminded me of this yesterday.

Every day of our lives we are given opportunities to show love and kindness to those around us.

What have you been through that has given you that special knowledge to be able to bless someones life because you have walked the path. There is someone waiting for the love that only you can share. Pray and ask God to show you who may stand in need of such love and then act.

Find Joy in bearing one another's burdens.

I love you Jake and Heather...Until you meet again with your precious angel Zinnia! Continued prayers for all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment